This checklist of 50 website essentials will help you quickly review your web design and diagnose common problems.
Domain Name & Website Functionality
- Domain name uses your important keywords?
- Have email addresses pointing to your domain?
- Have multiple versions of your domain purchased (.com, .org, .net, .biz)?
- Does the site load quickly? (Speed test)
- Does site load and appear correct in all major browsers?
- Does the site load quickly on mobile devices?
- Is your company name clear?
- Logo is linked to the home page?
- Font size and style are appropriate and match your brand?
- Color schemes match your brand?
- Good use of “white space”?
- Adequate use of graphics? Too much text or too many images?
- Any overwhelming distractions – such as flash, animations, or music?
- Is there a need for horizontal scrolling? (This is a bad thing, usually)
- Are your business social media profiles linked?
- Email opt-in form or call to action on every page?
- Videos embedded or linked (where applicable)?
- Easy to navigate and find what’s needed?
- Easy to navigate on mobile devices?
- Navigation/menu bar properly positioned and easily seen?
- Prominent links to all main pages?
- Company message and call to action above the fold?
- Company phone number and address (if applicable) visible?
- Addresses the needs and wants of the target audience?
- Addresses how the business can benefit the target audience?
- Fresh content added consistently (for instance, a blog)?
- Free of spelling and grammatical errors?
- Free of industry jargons that visitors may not understand?
- Proper keywords used in content?
- Content laid out in short paragraphs so it can be skimmed?
- Are bullet points being used?
- Sub-headings being used and styled properly?
- Call to action on all pages?
Contact Us Page
- Easy to find?
- More than one contact option? (phone/email/forms)
- Company address listed?
- Hours of Operation listed?
- Street map added / find directions?
- Is all company information current?
- All “forms” working properly and being delivered?
- Forms available for visitors to request a quote, request a call, etc.?
About Us Page
- Easy to find?
- Clear description of company?
- Shows owner and employee biographies?
- All information current?
- Social Media profiles linked?
- Keyword optimized page title or “title tags”?
- Proper Header Tags?
- Proper keyword placement in content?
- Business address listed on every page?
- City and state used in content?
For more valuable info be sure to check out the Web Design 131 whitepaper.