When you’re ready to get your business active on social media and to begin taking advantage of all that it has to offer, you need to keep in mind some important problems and pitfalls. Many businesses new to social networking experience common problems that can be avoided with a little planning.
Social networking is a powerful way to spread your brand name, but it’s vital to be aware of some important issues.
- Engagement. Never take engagement for granted! When your customers or prospects take the time to get involved, post comments or leave feedback, never leave them hanging. It’s important to respond to all inquiries and comments, and reciprocate with the time and energy they have committed to your brand.
- Planning. It’s easy to jump right in, but it’s important to plan ahead. Take the time to evaluate your goals, plans and resources before starting up in social media. Having a solid plan of action and the necessary graphics, content and ideas to get started is essential.
- Time Management. Along with planning what you’re going to do and getting the necessary resources committed, you need to ensure you have enough time committed. It’s great to get your business on social networks, but if you abandon your presence soon after you started, it can actually be damaging in the long run.
- Focus on Business. There is a delicate balancing act that needs to be managed on social networks. On one hand, you don’t want to be cold and professional all the time. Being human is an important part of interacting with other humans! But it’s absolutely essential that you keep personal opinion and especially personal grudges and disputes out of the professional context. Don’t be afraid to have personality, but don’t start stooping too low and making personal attacks or getting engaged in drama on social networks.
- Patience. Patience is vital! Don’t expect everything to happen overnight. Not only will you get frustrated, but you’ll set yourself up for failure. Social networking is a long-term commitment and it takes time to establish a name for yourself.
Overall, social networking is an inescapable part of doing business in this day and age. With a little common sense and these important tips, you can make sure you’re ready for what’s to come.