Local businesses have taken to social networking in droves to market, advertise and attract new customers. Twitter is a powerful platform for busy business owners to connect with a huge population of potential customers. Twitter lets your business “tweet” short updates in 140 characters or less and reach out to your fans, followers and prospects.
Aside from being an extremely convenient method of social networking, Twitter offers some great ways to leverage their services to expand your business.
- Customer Interaction. Interaction is probably the most important element of social networking that can help your business expand. Twitter lets you reach your customers and fans in real-time, and they can share and respond to your messages just as quickly.
- Marketing Tools. Twitter’s marketing tools let you create custom Twitter buttons and widgets for your website to better leverage your feed. You can also take advantage of Twitter ads to use paid promotion to reach a larger audience.
- New Updates. Keep your customers and followers in-the-know with fast, simple updates on the goings-on in your company. It takes very little time and effort to use Twitter to open a channel with your customers.
- Going Viral. Tweets are prime candidates for viral material. The easy-to-digest nature of Twitter updates means that people can quickly share, or “re-tweet” your updates and they can spread like wildfire.
- Contests and Deals. Twitter contests are becoming a popular way of leveraging this massive social network to bring in new sales. By advertising coupons, special deals, or letting your customers “gift” their friends using Twitter, you remove many barriers to traditional contests and discounts.
- Following Relevant Companies. Not only can you build your own following, but you can follow and keep tabs on your competition, related businesses and companies to get a grasp on what your industry is doing.
- Increase Traffic. You can include your company URL in your Twitter profile, post links to your website, and utilize tweets to drive more traffic to your business website.
- Twitter Lists. Lists are a way for Twitter users to create lists of useful businesses or pages. Getting your business added to a popular list can mean long-term exposure and traffic with minimal effort.
- Biographies. Twitter lets you create a bio for your company that summarizes what you do and who you are. It’s a great way to reach out to a large audience and deliver your message in short, understandable terms.
- Local Followers. You can leverage Twitter to tap into local business by target geographic locations or local news & happenings. Making the most of local business is one of the great advantages that social media has to offer.
Armed with an understanding of what Twitter can do for your business, you’re ready to start using this powerful platform to bring in new prospects, fans, followers and customers to your business website. Even the biggest companies are on Twitter these days, and companies like Starbucks have proven that even simple ideas like “Tweet a gift” can turn into millions worth of sales.